Monday, August 24, 2015

Big Changes

Ahhh, the first post on a new blog. It is not quite as satisfying as cracking open a new notebook and writing on that first blank age, but it is pretty close.

I have been thinking about having weight loss surgery for a long time - way before I met my beloved Hussyband. A friend in Tasmania had it and it worked wonders for her. But I wasn't ready then. I was having way too much fun being the happy drunken party girl. Yes I was big - but it never stopped me from having fun, and by having fun I mean picking up lots of strange men for gratuitous fun of course! Think Trainwreck - I know when I saw it last week I thought that it was a biographical movie of my 20's and early 30's!

The last 10 years have been a rollercoaster of:

  • Diets: Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Lighter Life, Cambridge - meh - the last two are not sustainable and made for a very grumpy me,
  • Pills that made me jumpy - and lets just say that drinking red bull after having legalised prescription speed is a great way to get sent home from work early
  • Gym Memberships - you start out with good intentions...but the treadmill of life is more exciting than a treadmill in a gym! I even had a personal trainer for the better part of the last year and a half....I broke his finger, he helped me tear my calf (all is fair in love and war!)
I keep injuring myself - a sprain here, a tear there, ass over tit in the shower (twice) this year ding significant soft tissue damage to my knee. With every injury my weight just crept back to where I started. Indeed, at the moment, post 2 knee injuries this year, I am back to the exact same weight I was when I started with my trainer in Feb last year. 146.7kgs. 323 lbs. 23.1 stone.

Kinda depressing all that hard work just going to ruin.

So, a few weeks ago I was at a festival. And I was lucky enough to sing with an orchestra on stage - it was fabulous, I worked the crowd and I had fun. Then I  got home, and I watched the video and I was like....that can't be me. I don't see myself like that. But it was. And I am. And things now need to change. This is me - ignore the camera work - my cheer squad had been drinking since breakfast!




So, I made some phone calls, did some follow-up research and 4 days later I had an appointment with my consultant Mr Yashwant Koak. Hussyband came with me, and we both feel confident with my choice,

I opted for the surgery to be a few weeks out to give me tie to explain in person to friends what I was doing and why and to answer their questions. This involved good food and lots of drinks which I will be off for the foreseeable future. But I am OK with this. A year off booze and restaurants will pay for the surgery the way we go out!

So - I am now a few weeks out from surgery. This blog will be updated as we go. There will be photos, videos and text blogs. Guest appearances from the Hussyband who will talk about what it is like from the partners side of things, You can ask questions, give constructive comments or just lurk in a corner. Meanwhile, sit back, ensure your tray tables and valuables are secured and fasten your seatbelts - this is going to be a bumpy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment